29 September 2011

ATTENTION PARENTS AND GUARDIANS

Vol_nteer...the only thing missing is u!



Hello Everyone:

I would like to introduce myself to all new and returning members of the 638 Algonquin Squadron Sponsoring Committee. I was invited to join as committee chair by Ms. Susan Antler, our OPC Director.

I am the mom of Flight Corporal Boland, who joined 638 Squadron in September 2010. I moved to Pembroke when my husband joined the Pembroke Regional Hospital (now Renfrew County) Ambulance Service and I started the nursing program at Algonquin College. Fast forward 20-some years and we now have two children, I am still nursing and Leo is still a Paramedic. I have previously volunteered with our local Heart and Stroke Foundation and with St John Ambulance and am currently involved in advocacy with the Canadian Diabetes Association.

As I see it, our first priority and greatest challenge as Sponsoring Committee is to secure one or more sponsoring partners to provide 638 Squadron with the financial security that will allow it to build on its strengths and grow beyond the status-quo to its full potential. In a time of fierce competition for available funds it might be tempting to keep our heads down and play it safe. I believe our Cadets deserve even more opportunities to excel, and it is my hope that we will be able to develop a creative, successful strategy to achieve this new goal before the 2012 Annual Inspection.

As has been usual, Committee meetings will be scheduled for the first Wednesday evening of the month, therefore our first meeting will be Wednesday, October 5th at 1900 (7pm) in the upper meeting room at the Pembroke Armouries. Please make an effort to invite one or two cadet parents, friends or colleagues to attend. Refreshments will be served.

I look forward to meeting everyone and working together with all of you to enable 638 Algonquin Squadron to provide the best learning and leadership experiences for our cadets.

Sincerely,

Michele Smith
Chair Designate
638 Sponsoring Committee